Seven of the Best Waterproof Jackets Under $200
1. North Face Venture 2 ($99)
While not particularly heavy-duty, the North Face Venture 2 is an amazingly simple, 3-season jacket that is ideal for less extreme users who don’t envision finding themselves caught in a storm half-way up Mount Rainier or enduring days of torrential rain on the PCT. The North Face Venture has won awards for its Eco-conscious construction (it’s made from 100% recycled, 40D ripstop nylon) and is favored by thousands of outdoor adventurers across the globe, from your average weekend-warrior to low-level mountaineer.
The North Face Venture 2 offers great value for money and is ideally suited for hikers looking for a reasonably priced waterproof jacket with no frills and without a great deal of shortcomings either. If you’re likely to be trekking in the Nepalese monsoon or dealing with slues of spindrift bombarding you on an alpine route, you’d maybe be better spending a few more bucks to get a jacket with a slightly tougher build, better closures and a peaked hood, but if you only need protection from a few hours’ worth of rain out on the trail, the Venture won’t let you down.
- Very affordable!
- Good value for money
- Great ventilation – pit zips are particularly effective and mesh hip pockets offer further air-flow when needed
- Light (14.11oz)
- Brushed chin guard lining prevents chafing when zipped up to the top
- The hood lacks a stiff brim or peak and can be prone to flopping over your forehead and eyes
- Toggles on hood and hem a little bit fiddly